Proudly Supporting Tasman Rugby


UC Championship Round 7 report

Christ’s College 17 Marlborough Boys College 7

By Peter Jones [Marlborough App]

The Marlborough Boys’ College First XV were beaten 17-7 by Christ’s College on a heavy ground in Christchurch on Saturday.

The home side started strongly in the UC championship clash, scoring three tries to lead 17-0 after 15 minutes during which time MBC were unable to get their hands on the ball.

Stunned by the early onslaught MBC dug deep and produced what coach Matt MacDougall described as their best defensive effort of the season so far, holding Christ’s scoreless for the next 55 minutes while scoring a converted try, to Tristan Taylor, themselves.

For MBC, flankers Sky Boskett-Barnes and William McKenzie were outstanding, along with prop Monu Moli who topped the tackle count.

MacDougall said he was “really proud of the boys”.

“I’ve been disappointed with some areas of our game in recent weeks but they have taken learnings at training on board and are making progress … their defence was outstanding and we got our penalty count right down.”   

Next up for MBC, who are ninth on the championship ladder, is a trip south to play Lincoln Combined on Saturday.

Rangiora High School 31 Waimea Combined Schools 18

By Samuel Johnson [WCS]

Waimea Combined Schools lost 31 - 18 when they travelled south to play Rangiora High School.

The Waimea men withheld early pressure from Rangiora with strong defence on their own line, managing to fight their way out of their own territory. Good metres from an elusive Tobi Kirkwood Thorpe gave Waimea an opportunity to exert some attack of their own, and after camping down on Rangiora’s goal line for 5 minutes, Josh Miles was the first man on the scoresheet after he gathered a kick put through by Co Captain Ben Johnston.

3 minutes later Kirkwood Thorpe was in the action again, picking up a bobbling ball after a Rangiora handling error and running fifty metres to score under the posts. Mackay Springer converted and Waimea went up 12 - 0.

Waimea added to their total in the 30th minute when Mackay Springer kicked a penalty goal 15 metres in from touch, but went into the half 15- 7 after Rangiora’s forwards had powered over to score.

Waimea were starved of ball in the second half, with the only points coming from Mackay Springer's boot when he knocked over another penalty from 40m. Waimea defended hard but a clinical Rangiora forward pack rolled over 3 times to take the lead, and once more when they spun the ball wide to score in the corner, taking the game away from Waimea’s reach with 4 minutes to go.

Waimea travel to Christchurch again next week when they play Christchurch Boys High School.

Christchurch Boys High School 7 Nelson College 25

No match report.

Other scores from Saturday: St Thomas 40 Mid Canterbury 15; St Bede’s 19 Lincoln 12; Timaru 43 Roncalli 10; St Andrew’s 24 Shirley 0.