The Goodman family with the John Goodman Challenge Trophy & the John Goodman N.R.F.C Contribution Cup.
On Saturday 2 June 2018 the Tasman Rugby Union, through the Chairman of the Nelson Bays Sub Union chair Tony Peacock, presented the John Goodman Challenge Trophy to the Goodman family and the Nelson Rugby Football Club.
The trophy was presented to Trish (Johns wife), daughter Jane, and sons Andrew and Chris at the NRFC’s 150th anniversary celebrations to honour John, the TRU's founding President and a man who contributed so much to community rugby and his beloved Nelson Rugby Football Club.
Although similar to the Ranfurly Shield, the trophy has a unique set of rules and is played for by all senior clubs in the region.
Murray Williams from Tapawera Rugby Club donated the Macrocarpa for the shield and the base and the Tapawera Men’s Shed made it.
The rules for the John Goodman Challenge Trophy (Established 2018):-
- Acknowledgement of John Goodman, Life member Nelson Bays, Senior long serving rugby administrator.
- Established in Division 1.
- First recipient was Nelson Rugby Football Club during their 150-celebration year.
- Played for at every home game of the holder, excluding Semis and Finals.
- Challenge options are available for Div 2 teams in pre-season. If Div 2 issuccessful, Shield stays in Div 2 until a Div 1 challenge the following preseason.
- Div 2 Challenge must be lodged by the 1st of February each year.
- Div 2 challenge option available to top 4 finishers from the previous season only.
- If multiple challenges received, option on who to play is at holder discretion.
- Game to be played at least three weeks before season commences.
- Any draw means holder retains shield.
- Engraved at seasons end, with the current holder acknowledged.
- Handover either on field or at after-match speeches.